Shelly has been a birth doula since 2003 when she had the privilege of attending her first grandchild's birth as the videographer. Upon observation of the attending doula “in action,” Shelly had an Aha! moment, realizing “that's what she wanted to be when she grew up!” She took her doula training with DONA (Doulas of North America International) two months later and has been a practicing birth doula since. Shelly completed Penny Simkin’s, “When Survivors Give Birth”, seminar in 2017. Shelly serves women in the Warsaw, Goshen, and Fort Wayne areas and has attended the births of five additional grandchildren in addition to many clients' births. Her goal is to create a safe, positive atmosphere during pregnancy, labor and birth, and to assist in the birth process by providing physical and emotional support, as well as a wide variety of comfort measures. Shelly believes that every birthing woman deserves a doula and considers it a privilege to serve women in this capacity.
In addition to being a doula, Shelly is also an avid quilter who enjoys reading, writing and spending time with her grandchildren.
- Free, no obligation "meet and greet” consultation
- Face-to-face meetings during pregnancy
- Phone/email/text support throughout
- Continual physical support during labor, birth, and post-partum
- Minimum of one post-partum visit
- Amateur photography
- "When Survivors Give Birth" support as a separate consultation or in conjunction with a standard birth doula contract
- Personalized birth contract to fit specific needs of each client
Shelly is happy to provide references upon request.